Monday, February 27, 2012

Office Re-Do {Part 1}

Monday, February 27, 2012
Our office re-do is a long time coming!  The current state of our office is sad, to say the least.    About a year ago we had a leak in the roof, which resulted in some water damage in the office closet.  My hubby ripped out the carpet, padding and drywall in the closet to fix the problem.  Good news:  Problem was fixed (yay, hub!).  Bad news:  Closet is still in shambles.

I can't even blame the water leak for most of the problems in this room though!

When we first moved in, I had this thought that we should put our big TV in the office and use that as our office/family room and keep the living room formal. This is a good plan for some homes, and it worked for us for a while, but it does not work for us any more. Our house is small, and our office is not efficient.  This makes life pretty frustrating, especially since my hub is self-employed and needs a functioning space.

Another issue with this is that I am a crafter, and I need a workspace.  Currently when I work on a project I have to use our dining room table... obviously this is not conducive to an organized home.

When we moved we had a mis-hap and our computer desk got smashed to smithereens, so we have been using the computer desk my hub used when he was a bachelor.  Awesome.  The worst part is we have a gorgeous L-shaped desk in the garage, still in the box, just calling my name, begging to be put together.  That has been in there for about two years now.

The closet... oh the closet.  It is currently comprised of post-leak drywall and a thin layer of carpet (no padding) thrown over the floor.  I put a book shelf in there and it houses mis-matched bins of my craft items, as well as anything else that doesn't have an organized home (read: piles of stuff). 

I am embarrassed to admit this closet has always been a problem for me.  Prior to the water leak, we had a sofa table in there that housed mounds and mounds of paperwork.  Over time, I piled craft items, electronic items, cords, you name it and it became a pit of despair.  It had become just another place to put stuff I didn't know what to do with.  At any given time, if I needed something as simple as an envelope, an avalanche would take me out.  Not to mention the height of the closet was not utilized for storage.  {head slap} What was I thinking?

My hub is also VERY hard to win over as far as getting him on board to do home projects, mainly because time and money are lacking around these parts.  But, I think I finally got to him.   Bwahahahaha!  Ahem.

So last weekend we began the work.  It will be slow going, but trust me, we have a vision and we will stick to it and it will be fabulous!

I know I have mentioned this a few hundred times, but I will say it again, our house is small.  We have 3 bedrooms, the office being one of them.  This means my plan is to maximize effective storage solutions while making it pretty.  I have my work cut out for me.

What we need/want:

  • Simple, bright, fresh, inspiring, organized space
  • Large desk for home office and separate workspace for me
  • Organized storage for: my craft/scrapbooking/sewing items, computer and electronic accessories (gah! cords!), gift wrap, paperwork, DVDs, CDs, photo albums and much, much more!

To Do:

  • Remove everything from closet
  • Mud/Sand/Paint closet
  • Purge room of all things crappy (cough-bachelorcomputerdesk-cough)
  • Relocate large TV to living room
  • Paint Walls {Agreeable Gray - Sherwin Williams}
  • Install our own DIY version of wainscoting, crown molding and trim around window
  • Build DIY wall-to-wall floor-to-ceiling cabinet/shelves for storage
  • Paint all trim, base, molding, wainscoting, cabinets{White}
  • Replace beige carpet with new wood flooring
  • Take closet bi-fold doors off and burn them store them in the garage
  • Make the closet space a functioning desk and craft/scrap/sewing storage area for me
  • Find affordable area rug
  • Put together the desk that has been in the garage for 2 years
  • Accessories and artwork (fun, fun!)

Easy, peasy.  Right?

Hmmm.  :)

Okay, so in the spirit of keepin' it real, let's take a look at some pictures.

This one here was taken a few years ago, before we had our son.  This is pretty much still how it looks, except add take away the bins and add in a LOT more clutter. :(

Mr. B is concentrating deeply on very important educational programming (Survivor.)

The office closet:

Forgot to take a picture until I had cleared bins off of the shelf.  Doh.

The closet right now:



The next picture is the current state of our dungeon office.  It is also mortifying to post.  I tried and tried to get a "natural light shot" but Oh Em Gee people, it is SO overcast here and there is no end in sight.  I hope the sun comes out some time this year, but I digress. :)  This photo shows exactly how dark and gloomy this room is.  I have the blinds open and it is still this dark:

Keys to a well functioning office.... HA!

You can clearly see my problems.  Everything about this room is awful.  Too much furniture, TV is too large for the space, paint color is too dark, not enough light, poorly executed furniture placement, virtually no workspace, etc.

These bi-fold doors may hide the fugly, but they are my arch enemy.  I dislike them for so many reasons. They will be going bye-bye!


Finally, a little bit of sun shone through! Yeah!

My vision for this space:

I want to get rid of the dark, gloomy builder beige (with green undertones) paint and re-paint it a brighter, fresher color.  I got a sample of Sherwin William's Agreeable Gray and put it up on the wall in some spots and love it! We are going with this one for sure. 


Agreeable Gray - Sherwin Williams


I want the basics to be neutral... something sort of like this:



I am open on the flooring.  Cost is a HUGE issue to us, so we will have to do a lot of research.  We cannot afford real wood and we want something extremely durable (like drop a heavy toy metal dump truck on it and leave no marks durable).  We currently have real bamboo floors throughout the house and they are ridiculous to maintain, and they are so soft they show every ding and mark.  Any thoughts or advice on this?

I will also probably go with a neutral solid colored or muted design rug.

I love this Crate and Barrel rug I found on Pinterest, but it's out of my price range:

via


I like this one from Overstock, and it is much friendlier on the budget, but not sold yet:


via


This is the desk that is in the garage that we need to put together.  I bought it a couple of years ago, and looking at it now, it wouldn't be my first pick, but I do like it and it offers a lot of workspace for the hubs, so we will go with it.  My budget does not allow me to be picky on this one. :) 



Lots of COLOR will come in the form of artwork, accessories, curtains, fresh flowers, etc.  I want to be able to change up the room often, so that is why neutral bones are important to me.  I love to decorate for the holidays, and I change my mind about decor so quickly.  I will love being able to change out the drapes or artwork to create a whole new look.

The office closet with be transformed into a desk/workspace/craft area for me.  This is an inspiration photo I pinned:


via

I absolutely love this.  The color of the walls is similar to what ours will be.  Love the floor.  The chair is stunning, isn't it?  My workspace will have a lot more storage, simply because I have to maximize the space I have.

I want some sort of built-ins on the back wall. I will either have hubs built them or we might do an Ikea hack to save some time and money. I am loving these:


I can't find a credible source for this.
via
 
I hope you're with me for the long haul, because there is so much work to be done!   :)

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog today and have been reading through. I love it! I had to comment on this one though, I love love love the office inspiration photos!! Good luck with this transformation, I'm excited to see what comes next!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! I read each and every one of them. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 2012 Emily B. | Mrs. B's Hive.
All rights reserved.