Thursday, March 1, 2012

DIY Nailhead Trim Tools

Thursday, March 1, 2012
I think it's safe to say that most of us have been obsessing over nailhead trim for a while now.  I think it adds the perfect touch to a piece, don't you?

I especially love nailhead trim on headboards.  This one, from Ballard Designs, is one of my favorites:

via

Here it is up close.  See the multi-colored nails?  Love.

via

I don't love the price though.  I have scoured the internet on a search for an inexpensive headboard with nailhead trim and I can't find one in my budget.  

In the future, I am going to attempt to DIM (do it myself, ha!).  I have read lots of tutorials about how difficult it can be to do nailhead trim.  I have read it is a challenge to get the nails lined up perfectly and keep them straight.

I flashed back to a 1980's mustard yellow wing-backed chair my grandparents had (that may or may not be slip-covered and sitting in my office right now. sigh.) and remembered when the nailhead trim started coming off it came off in one big string... it wasn't really nails.  So I thought to myself, there MUST be faux nailhead by the yard out there.  There simply has to be.  So I started doing some research and found some awesome stuff.

I may be the only person in the world who didn't know about this stuff, sorry if you already know all about these.  A day late and a dollar short, that's me! :)

My search lead me to this product first: "Decorative Nailhead Trim" BY THE YARD.  It comes in a strand with real nails you put into pre-drilled holes.  Sweet.  I could see using different nails to re-create the two-tone look in the Ballard headboard.

via

via

via

Then, at a different site, I found this bad boy:

via

The Quick Nailer!  You can set up to five nails head to head at one time with this guy. 


There is also the Flexible Curve Ease (Invisible Curved Edges):

via

This continuous strip invisible fastener gives a firm, smooth tailored line around even the most radical curves without hand sewing. It bends and flexes in all directions and can be used for straight applications. It holds the fabric smoother than hand sewing.  -- Source

Want a Nailhead trim kit?  They exist! Here's some, for example.

Don't forget your upholstery hammer:

via

One side is magnetic, for placement of nails.  The other is for hammering.  They also have some with Nylon tips, so it doesn't destroy ornamental tacks.


I am a little overwhelmed, but I think we will still give it a try at some point.  Have you ever done DIY nailhead trim?  Did you use any of these products?

0 comments:

Please leave a comment...

I love reading your comments! I read each and every one of them. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 2012 Emily B. | Mrs. B's Hive.
All rights reserved.